After weeks of voting, compiling, and one late night of sorting through all those entries, we now present to you GeorgiaMae's Top 10 Christmas songs!
Next time I try something like this, remind me to get the wife to hire an assistant.
Before we get into things, a couple of thoughts:
- I was totally shocked by the lack of votes for songs featuring the Jackson 5. There were ZERO entries for "I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus" and "Santa Claus Is Coming To Town." I figured they'd be all over the list, especially with Michael still on our minds and the Jacksons reality show on our TVs.
...Ugh, now I realize what hurt their votes.
- Although it didn't make the list, one reader voted for a song I had never heard before - "What You Want For Christmas" by the 69 Boyz. Yes, the dudes from the "Tootsie Roll" song. They should have named it "Santa Goes Straight to the Ghetto Part 2," especially when the girl says she wants fingernails and free rent for Christmas. This holiday gem is available for your listening pleasure via our new blog playlist. It will also feature today's winners.
Here we go!
Honorable mention - Silver Bells
- Brings back memories of elementary school Christmas programs. Don't act like y'all don't remember shaking those stupid bells.
10. Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas
- Need a laugh to make your season bright? Check out the Isley Brothers' rendition of this song. I reviewed their Christmas album last year.
I didn't say it was any good, I said check it out. I'll bet you 10 Christmas cookies Ron was drunk when he recorded it. His ad-libs are embarrassing.
9. The Christmas Song
- True, this is a Christmas classic, but you wanna know what always bugged me about this song? The bland, nondescript title. It's so plain. It's like someone releasing a track called Love Song. Who would do that? Oh, wait. My bad.
8. Gee Whiz It's Christmas
- Did you know Carla Thomas also had a song called "Gee Whiz Look At His Eyes?" Why is she so obsessed with the phrase "gee whiz?' Maybe she's the obsessive type - listen closely to the lyrics of "Gee Whiz It's Christmas" and it sounds like she's stalking some poor guy. If I were him, I wouldn't go to that party that she's throwwww-wing!
7. Merry Christmas Baby
- True story - I had never even heard of this song until I met my wife. Somehow it totally evaded my childhood. But y'all certainly knew it - votes were flying in for it.
6. & 5. White Christmas/All I Want For Christmas Is You
- "All I Want For Christmas" rocketed through the list at the last minute to tie with the timeless "White Christmas." Don't let me find out Mariah Carey stuffed the ballot box. The way she stuffs herself in those dresses of hers it wouldn't surprise me.
4. O Holy Night
- 'Bout time one of those "true reason for the season" songs made an appearance on the list. But I can't get preachy when my favorite Christmas tunes are about depression and old folks gettin' freaky.
3. This Christmas
- People can't get enough of Donny Hathaway's Christmas classic, and for good reason. It just puts you in a cheery holiday mood. But I prefer Patti LaBelle's rendition. No offense to Donny but when that lady screams "you better shake somebody's hand!" she could get Osama to give Dick Cheney pound.
2. Silent Night
- "Wooo-hooo-hooo-hooooooooooooooooooo!" Everyone has their favorite version, but according to the majority GeorgiaMae readers, the Temptations own this song. No argument here. This was the song that I was certain would take first place. It made a late rally for the top spot at the 11th hour but it was not meant to be, for our winner is...
1. Let It Snow
- Young readers, there was a time when Boyz II Men were 1,000 times bigger than Drake could ever hope to be (yeah, I said it). At the height of their popularity, they teamed up with Brian McKnight and crafted a modern-day classic (is 1993 still considered modern-day?). This song isn't even 20 years old, yet it has become synonymous with the holidays for young and old alike. Your holiday isn't complete without hearing this song. My one Christmas wish? I hope Nathan got a haircut - he looks like a Christmas tree in a sweater in the video.
Merry Christmas, everybody!