Contributed by: Karie
The arrival of a new year forces everyone to make outlandish resolutions.
At 12:00 a.m., I resolved to stop swearing (that’s “cussin'” for those down South).
At 12:48 a.m., I realized I failed. So I decided to be more creative. For 2009, I resolve to try different things to enrich my life as a single lady. (And yes, sometimes a lady needs to swear.)
In 2009, I resolve to do the following things:
- Be healthier.
- Find creative ways to entertain friends.
- Consider Internet dating.
- Make genuine connections with people.
- Attend more cultural, sporting, professional, and community service events.
Things I’ve accomplished since the start of the new year:
- Stepped outside of my comfort zone and networked with complete strangers at an event.
- Met a few young professionals at the job.
- Purchased new clothing that speaks to my feminine classic style.
- Used my elliptical machine at least 10 times this month.
- Reconnected with old friends.
Singles, it’s a new year. Don’t be afraid to try something new.
About the contributor: Karie (pronounced like Marie with a “K) is a single, 20-something living in the DC Metropolitan area. Professionally, she works as a technical writer. Outside of the office, she enjoys graphic design, creative writing, reading, and tennis. Please contact her at firstname.lastname@example.org.